The Gibraltar Yacht Registry
Gibraltar has no VAT system.
From a legal perspective, registering a yacht in Gibraltar offers many advantages of security and reliability:
• The yacht will fly the defaced British flag (Red Ensign) together with the international recognition, protection and prestige that comes with it.
• The ability to seek assistance from any of the British embassies and consulates worldwide where the vessel may be situated.
• Legal title of yacht ownership on registration or transfer of ownership is straightforward.
• All vital details concerning the yacht is contained in the Register, and in the Certificate of British Registry (‘Blue Book’).
• The Register is a public record, open to inspection by interested third parties, such as buyers, and/or potential lenders, offering security as to title.
• The Register enables the owner to dispose of the yacht easily in a cost-effective and timely manner.
• All legal mortgages are required to be registered, enabling interested parties to ascertain from this public record whether a yacht is free from encumbrances or registered liens.